Riya will remain in jail:Bail plea of actress arrested in drugs case dismissed; ED probing money laundering can file a new case in Sushant case.
- ED can investigate money transactions between people involved in drugs case
- Narcotics Control Bureau arrested Riya Chakraborty on Tuesday
The decision on the bail of Riya Chakraborty and her brother Shovik, arrested after the drugs angle surfaced in the case of Sushant Singh Rajput's death, may come shortly. The Metropolitan Magistrate Court of Mumbai had reserved the judgment on Thursday. Riya appealed to the Metropolitan Magistrate Court after the bail application was rejected in the Magistrate Court. Riya was arrested by the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) on 8 September. On the other hand, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) can file a new case against Riya.
3 arguments of Riya's lawyer in court
1. NCB pressured Riya to admit the charge during questioning.
2. No female officer was present during the interrogation of Riya.
3. Riya's arrest was not needed. Her freedom was arbitrarily banned, she is being implicated.
NCB's 4 arguments against Riya's bail
1. Protocol was fully taken care of during interrogation of Riya.
2. Electronics evidences are against Riya.
3. Many people arrested in drugs case have confessed to contacting Riya.
4. Although the quantity of drugs seized in this case is small, but the price is 1 lakh 85 thousand 200 rupees.
ED can investigate money transaction in drugs case
ED can file a new case investigating money laundering in Sushant case. An ED official says, "We are seeking legal advice to file a new case. Earlier we had filed the case on the complaint of Sushant's father KK Singh, who was involved in withdrawing money from Sushant's bank account." The new case will be based on the results of the NCB investigation, as there have been several arrests in the drugs case. The ED will also look at the angle of money earned from drug trafficking and drug purchases. "